The Wayside was built in 1830 by Squire Munro as an inn to serve stagecoach passengers as they traveled west . The inn's Proprietor, C. Stevens, would provide accommodations for $1.50 a day. He advertised to passengers on the Jordan & Skaneateles stagecoach lines.
In 1913 a devasting fire destroyed the original building. Hotel employees and guest barely escaped with their lives by jumping out windows and sliding down the side of the building into the arms of townspeople. The building was rebuilt in 1915 by H.S. Longcoy who used the original Italianate design. While the building appeared similar to the original, it was now equipped with the finest decorations and latest technologies. It was truly an elegant resting place for travelers.
In 1941, the now 'Cross Keys Inn,' was sold to William Hoult and renamed the Wayside Inn. In 1960, there was another fire that damaged the building. The building closed for some time. Eventually, the inn continued as a restaurant and was sold to Frederick Weber in 1967. Weber renamed the restaurant 'Webers Wayside Inn.'
This historic building has also been known as the Elbridge Inn and Smart's Wayside Inn. Today it is the 'Wayside Irish Pub.'
The Wayside has served as a social meeting place at four corners in the village of Elbridge for nearly 200 years.